How to make Indian Masala Chai |Tea Recipe
How to make masala chai ( Indian Tea )
Masala chai is a flavored tea beverage made by brewing tea leaves with a mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs. There are many versions of making a masala tea, I am sharing my version here. You can adjust the spices according to your taste.
The first thing I learnt when I entered the kitchen in my teens was making a simple basic tea or chai as we Indians call it. A good cup of chai or tea needs correct measurements and practice. Initially I struggled a lot but later I learnt the art of making Tea.
The secret to a great chai is in the masala, the spice mixture. Click on the video to see my version.
Cinamon stick – 1/2 inch broken into pieces
Whole Cloves – 2
Whole Black peppercons – 2
Fennel Seeds – 8-10
Cardamom pods – 2
Milk – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
Tea leaves – 1.5 teaspoons ( I used Taj Mahal brand)
1. In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods, fennel seeds, black peppercons and cinnamon, or use a grinder.
2. Add the water in a pan and bring to boil, add in the crushed spic mix, bring to a boil.
3. Now add in the tea leaves followed by sugar and let it boil for few seconds.
4. Add in the milk and bring to a single boil.
5. Remove from the heat.
6. Stir the chai, then strain it directly into the tea cups.
Enjoy the Indian Masal Chai / Tea!